Panzanella is a Tuscan and Umbrian chopped salad of soaked stale bread, onions and tomatoes that is popular in the summer.
3-4 cups of rustic bred cut into 1-inch cubes
2 pounds of very ripe variety of tomatoes
½ cup of thinly sliced onion
2-4 garlic minced cloves
½ cup of sliced cucumber
6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
½ cups of fresh basil or combination of herbs like oregano and thyme
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of sea salt
Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut bread into cubes and place onto baking pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, add a pinch of sea alt
- Bake for 10-15 min until golden brown. Take out of the oven and let it cool.
- Cut tomatoes into bite size pieces and transfer to a bowl. Add sliced cucumber, thinly sliced onions, minced garlic and herbs of your choice.
- Add bread cubes and mix ingredients together.
- Mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and add to a bowl.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Before serving toss and mix more oil, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.